Thursday 14 April 2011

David and battling traumatic events

I have been thinking about 1 Samuel 20 since I started hitch hiking upto Tauranga. The story begins by David running to His friend Jonathan (who happens to be Saul's son) and saying:
"What have I done? What is my guilt? And what is my sin before your father, that he seeks my life?" (1 Samuel 20:1b, RSV)
When was the last time you were put through trauma and instinctively the first thing you thought of is "what have I done?" This is what is going through David's mind as he says this to His friend. His friend replies (paraphrase) "What are you talking about? my Dad is not seeking your life" It's easy to read these words and believe that it's the beginning to a new story. We read it in the bible, it takes the Spirit of God to reveal what is really happening and what David is experiencing (what He is feeling)
This gives me great confidence, because God's banner over David's life, is there is nothing possible that we can do that God will not have mercy for us.
There's no supermen here, there's only one Savior, and that is not me. I need saving, my weakness does not surprise God. It's freeing to know that it's all in my humanity

No comments:

Post a Comment