Monday 25 June 2012

Learning the Teaching of God

I have to confess, today, I have found myself asking "What am I here for?"

After a few moments, I realized this may be a question that needs repeating often.

If I am to be a teacher, then I need to be able to teach, what?

Last night I was having dinner with my friends from Church, Pauline and Ken Whyte. They asked why I was going to YWAM Oxford, instead of going to Queenstown. This is still a question that needs much thought. But for now, I had to think about what to say. After a while (after sitting over dinner) I gave an answer. "There is a passage in the book of Isaiah that I have always thought about, but it didn't click, I couldn't make any sense of it" That was, until the pieces fit in place and I realized how simple it is. Now, the passage I am referring to is Isaiah 28:23-29

What else? that it brings importance to knowing, understanding, listening to and living by the Teaching of God. If it was so simple then why did I take so long to understand it? I have a few guesses.

Earlier in the chapter is a reference to a cornerstone that will be tested, tried, sure and precious, and anyone who believes in Him will be on a firm foundation. Then it says "I will make Justice the measuring line, and righteousness the plummet" meaning, when you lay a cornerstone it has to be perfect. If it is on an angle, or not perpindicular (at right angles) the foundation will not be stable.

This means that Jesus himself is the definition of True Justice and True Righteousness.

The word for wicked in Hebrew, literally comes from the word "crooked" or "not straight" When we believe in Idols, we are crooked.

It is the very reason why God actually punishes Israel (in this Chapter)

What is the connection between idols and the teaching of God? Literally, Christ. Christ is my Teacher.

Why is it so important to listen? it is because I am not the teacher, I need to listen, hear, obey, live by what I hear.

In Psalm 97, The Psalmist divinely inspired begins to denounce Idols. He calls them worthless and carved images of confusion. What? Try to find the connection here, God's glory needs to be the center of everything that we live, breathe and enjoy. Because God is the center of everything. Idols will pollute everything. Not just Idols, Pride does as well. And God must be worshipped.  Christ is the Glory of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment