Friday 11 May 2012

Keeping the Watch (4)

This, then, is our responsibility seeing that God is still overseer and sovereign, and we are still God's creation. There is a verse in 1 Samuel which says
So Samuel said: "Has the LORD [as great] delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, [And] to heed than the fat of rams. For rebellion [is as] the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness [is as] iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from [being] king." So Samuel said to him, "The LORD has torn the kingdom of Israel from you today, and has given it to a neighbor of yours, [who is] better than you. "And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor relent. For He [is] not a man, that He should relent." (1 Samuel 15:22-23, 28-29)
The reason that Saul was rejected as King, was over not obeying the voice of the Lord. The verses show that God is prepared to tear from His own King, his own Kingdom, for the sake of His purposes on the earth. But I want to focus on the phrase in the first portion. "to obey is better than sacrifice"
Anyone that follows God and wishes to achieve his purposes on the earth must live by this phrase. I want to point out two things that I believe are important to think about while achieving God's purpose on the earth. (this sounds so cool, eh)
1. He is calling for a radical obedience.
2. He is interested in the person and his heart, and ultimately a voice that produces a pure word.
Not one, or the other, While travelling with the Lord this past year, I had to make a decision to obey the voice of the LORD no matter the costs. I spoke at a family meeting where I said there was going to be an earthquake, that causes a tsunami to hit Christchurch, many would die and loose much. However that didn't happen. What have I learned from this endeavour? I am not going to shrink back, I must obey the voice of the Lord and I must also speak what is the right word. For whose sake? It is for the LORD's sake. I well know the sacrifices that God makes on us. This fire is burning brighter than a year before, and I am ready for anything! try say that in Athens 40AD

No comments:

Post a Comment