Wednesday 8 December 2010

Honoring the Holy Spirit as the writer of the Holy Bible

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness," (2 Tim 3:16)

"knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit." (2 Peter 1:20, 21)
After selflessness, comes correct interpretation of the Bible. Take for example, Psalm 27:1-4:
1A Psalm of David. THE LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?
2When the wicked came against me To eat up my flesh, My enemies and foes, They stumbled and fell.
3Though an army may encamp against me, My heart shall not fear; Though war may rise against me, In this I will be confident.
4One thing I have desired of the LORD, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD, And to inquire in His temple.
The question that you ask shouldn't be, what does this do for me? or even What does this mean. Let the word speak for itself. Now the first verse begins with a name. Which gets lost on us because of the "THE" THE LORD is His name. You don't say "THE Nathan went to bed tonight" in the same way, it reminds me of Psalm 23:1
A Psalm of David. THE LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
what does it say about THE LORD today? He is my light and my salvation. The question should be "How is this question answered?" I give you a hint, if it's not in the verse, it will be in the next two following. So we find out that the answer to this colossal statement is:
2When the wicked came against me To eat up my flesh, My enemies and foes, They stumbled and fell.
3Though an army may encamp against me, My heart shall not fear; Though war may rise against me, In this I will be confident.
See this is why you pray back scripture to God. The word is inspiration of the Holy Spirit, the why it is there has already been answered. (The Holy Spirit is leading us) The more you pray back His scripture to Him the more it becomes your experience. This means If you want to become more like Jesus, pray back His word to Him. I can't ask the question, "why is it there?" because I am not God. Instead I begin to ask probing questions. and the more probing questions I ask, the more probing questions God provides, the more that He provides there are real answers. And the more there are real answers the more He leads me into experience these things in my life. And He relates it back to my experience by reminding me of my experience - The more that I am able to do this the more rewarding.

What i'm thinking while I read these verses is quite simple, I remember that THE LORD is God, that He is my light and my salvation, and that David has alot of experience with enemies. Instantly I remember His confrontation with Saul in his younger years, there are also all the enemies he did battle with out in the field. And all the constant fighting he did until he was advanced in years. This would be His experience, He would see the enemy wonderfully destroyed at the hand of THE LORD. But you can't say "In this I will be confident" without having the experience of it first hand. You can't write these things without having something to back them up. The remarkable thing about David is that he knows what is the supreme source of his salvation and light. And never forget it. We know that he wrote this in his middle years after he had been crowned King. But this revelation was not something he learned over time, it was something that came from an experience he had with God.

When God chose him and man did not choose him. When he was still a shepherd boy in the hills of Bethlehem protecting his sheep from lions and bears and being delivered from them all. When he was brought in front of his whole family and anointed in their presence. And not just a flask but with a horn of oil. (1 Sam 16:13, Ps 23:5) Yeah it was God who chose him and said "you will be King" and which applies to us, because man does not choose us, but God chooses us. This horn of anointing never left him and was able to say as a King,

One thing I have desired of the LORD, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD, And to inquire in His temple. (Ps 27:4)

This means that we should not be looking outside of scripture for interpretation of what is found in scripture, in fact, the interpretation is there, right in the verse. The Holy Spirit, as much as I know, leads us. The idea which says "I commission you" is a self-interpretation, because that lens through which we look means that wherever, anyone was led in the Bible, means that the Holy Spirit was leading them (in fact, the Holy Spirit wrote the Bible, and people were inspired to write what they wrote because they were being led) When the Holy Spirit is felt by me, and I am conscious of His leading, I always know, I better remember what it was that He taught me, and the latest time was this very thing "I am just listening to what the Holy Spirit says" and then asked people to lay hands on this guy, and we prayed for Him, then asked "has anyone got pictures, et cetera" guess what, I've never done it before, and this is the testimony of everyone who knows the Holy Spirit, "I've never done it before" I commission You:

As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, "Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." (Acts 13:2)

comes from this verse in Acts, The "I Commission you" is the Holy Spirit saying "I lead you" What a surprise! Then I remember, "The Holy Spirit was given at Pentecost" so it would make sense that the Holy Spirit commissions. Because He is present here with us!

This means we don't need to goto an outside source to interpret what is being said, in scripture. The interpretation and the whole point of what is being said is right there. Now if you are wanting to know the context, and understand the Historical culture of the story, that's good. It provides you with added information that maybe useful in understanding things like "what was slave culture like" or "what was kingdom culture like", "what was it like to be a christian during the time this letter was written" good questions. But the intent and purpose and the thing that is being spoken doesn't change. By doing this we honor the Holy Spirit in glorifying God and revealing Jesus.

So i give you the name of this kind of look at scripture: exegesis. (inductive study is also the look of scripture for what it says without looking for a topic)

P.S The incentive isn't just to know what I'm saying, but it says:

"Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock:" (Matthew 7:24)

The practice of doing what the scripture says rather than letting it fall and not thinking about it. Isn't God so great that the first step in studying His word produces in us the pursuit of Justice. to "Do what the WORD says" it is a good provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment