Saturday 18 March 2017

Thoughts on gift giving and offering our talents

This is certainly not going to be an exhaustive letter about the subject, but recently God moved on my heart and it was the most peaceful thing I could experience. I still don't have any words for what happened. It's filled me with admiration for God. The thought I have is that we who are His children, those who have been sanctified by Him, who are his inheritance, could learn a lot from Exodus 30-31. I have been reading it today. This won't be a eloquent letter about the passage. But I just wanted to share what's on my heart. The passage, if you read in context, refers to God's spirit being given to the people, so that they would know Him more.

The first chapter is talking about the preciseness of worship. It mentions the altar of incense, the redemption of Israel, the bronze laver (a watering basin) the holy anointing oil, by which everything was anointed, the incense, and then in 31, the chapter i'm focusing on, it mentions that God "gives" his spirit to Bezalel, and Ahisamach, who were from the tribe of Judah and Dan respectively. These men "carried" his spirit, in all the work of the tabernacle. If you jump forward these men commissioned the rest of the congregation, to do lesser works, but they were in charge of the greater works. God chose to anoint His people in the work of His tabernacle. He had already chosen and made manifest the wisdom of Himself to two men, and through them, the congregation would construct the tabernacle. Now the rest of the book mentions the construction of this tabernacle.

Tabernacle is literally the word for tent. It's furnishings and contents were temporary. the Tabernacle itself was not in a fixed position, but went wherever God went. In fact, as part of the tabernacle, the ark rested in the place that God rested. The people followed God and they followed the tabernacle that was constantly with them.

Of the tabernacle Isaiah speaks in Isaiah 4:

The Branch of the Lord

In that day the Branch of the Lord will be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the land will be the pride and glory of the survivors in Israel.Those who are left in Zion, who remain in Jerusalem, will be called holy, all who are recorded among the living in Jerusalem. The Lord will wash away the filth of the women of Zion; he will cleanse the bloodstains from Jerusalem by a spirit[a] of judgment and a spirit[b] of fire. Then the Lord will create over all of Mount Zion and over those who assemble there a cloud of smoke by day and a glow of flaming fire by night; over everything the glory[c] will be a canopy. It will be a shelter and shade from the heat of the day, and a refuge and hiding place from the storm and rain.

Fascinating that the picture of God's glory in this passage is the picture of a tabernacle. Fascinating also that the word that is used of Jesus is the tabernacle, He "dwelt among us" (John 1:14) he is living with us. He took on the form of a servant to make us holy towards God.

There is a fascinating verse in the 31st chapter. it reads:

[Exo 31:12-14 NKJV] 12 And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 13 "Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: 'Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it [is] a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that [you] may know that I [am] the LORD who sanctifies you. 14 'You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for [it is] holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does [any] work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people.

Why the significance of the Sabbath? Because it says "that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you" and "you shall keep the Sabbath therefore, for it is holy to you"

There's much that's on my heart regarding this passage, for it is the only verse here which actually commands them to keep, and the reason for it. The word holy means "set apart" meaning "only for this purpose" yet God is holy. This speaks of the God who cannot be contained by anything. For if someone were to be holy, it would be like saying "you are my possession" But when God is holy, it refers to his nature and character, the completeness of His person in entirety. that is why God is holy, why He is set apart. The verse speaks of the day being "holy to you" meaning, it was created for you. Yet in the previous verse it says "that you may know that I am the LORD" this knowing of the LORD is the direct result of keeping sabbath. if he had his reason, it would be "because you will know me" but it is holy to you, meaning that the day alone is yours. Do this: every day that you have, give it to God. He will fill it.

God chose to give skill to his people, so that His tabernacle would be built. He gave His spirit to empower His people in the work. This is a picture of what Christ has done for the church, possessing them the ones that are gifts to Him, but it's His will that He would be so enthroned as the one to whom the rebellious and captives are submitting to.

[Psa 68:18 NKJV] 18 You have ascended on high, You have led captivity captive; You have received gifts among men, Even [from] the rebellious, That the LORD God might dwell [there].

The message says:
You climbed to the High Place, captives in tow,
    your arms full of booty from rebels,
And now you sit there in state,
    God, sovereign God!

he gave his accreditation over it.

That's someone I can follow, because unlike Bezalel and Ahisamach, His spirit was not given by measure. When he asked them to construct the place that would be the center of worship for the congregation, He gave them skill as far as their ability. He empowered them to turn the dreams of his heart into things that could be seen.

I was at a meeting listening to Shane Claiborne share his experience about what Jesus had led him into. The prevailing notion was, I've got to get my life right. I'm currently wasting my life.  It was the wake up call I needed to simply be with God. Only God knows my heart, only he tells me who I am, only He can speak fire into my heart and give my heart the freedom it desires, to be wholly his. Why is that? I mean, have you ever asked yourself what is so fascinating about the people that have caught your wonder? What is it about them that makes them so alluring? do they do anything? is it a reflection of what dwells in my heart? Rather than that being really inconsequential, this is the place that God desires to dwell. He desires to wake up the heart from its slumber. He desires to have mercy on weak and broken people. He looks forward to pouring Himself out and being known for love. He is defiant to the point of shedding his own blood. He is the plumb line of right and truth. I really wouldn't know what to do without him. Augustine says "man shall not find rest, until He find his rest in Him[God]"

The last thing I want to leave with you is that it was all God ordained. It was He who was in control of the building of His own dwelling. And when it was commissioned, the people gave willingly. That literally screams to me of how much God is about His own worship. People say "God's job, God's bill" He is not lacking who made Heaven and earth. Jesus, don't let me pass an opportunity where you are calling me.

Okay, so God is worthy of our worship and adoration. We don't give to Him anything that is not His. Majesty! wonder! the best things in life, are things that we belong to. the thing that is sacred, is the thing that we were made for. Join me in living by His spirit, reflecting His own goodness. I want to be undone by God when he looks at me, when He smiles at me, when I hear Him speak, I want to have a desire that only God can satisfy. The point is, in light of the beauty of Himself, is anything really given? is it going back to Him as being from me?

What I feel like saying right now, is that it is not even the thought we are really thinking. I've lived too long on this earth to live like today doesn't matter, that tomorrow should be my goal in living a better life. Of putting off that love that fills me now. I was literally a fool for thinking that my life was hard. No matter what you are going through, the fragrance of praising Him is something that strikes his heart, because it is offered.

I equally don't want to live like others have something I don't. because breaking it down to its essential parts only shows that the person I envy has far more to carry than I do. I wouldn't envy them in the least if I knew what it would cost them to leave it all behind. I know that's a negative way at looking at it. But such foolishness is wisdom to God, if I can leave it all behind and turn my heart once again to Him and say He's completely worth it! The reason we object is only because of fear, fear of letting go, of not being in control. and such fear is rooted in our fear of man, of what He can do to us, or maybe even fear of the devil, for the fact that he prowls.

Okay, so i used the word "leave it all behind" in two different ways in the last paragraph, i just meant, that if someone were to reject all God's love and life, and to call it quits, i would not envy them for it. I guess i was saying it because I carry a burden each day. Yet, my hearts desire is that I could leave it all behind, really, truly, that my life would not keep me from having the love of Him fill my whole being. I think the two are connected anyway.

God's spirit is not a spirit of fear, equally it's not a spirit of control. It's a spirit of joyful anticipation and boastful delight.

Please let me know what you think. I'm really inspired and want to hear what He's upto in your neck of the woods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment