Sunday 8 June 2014

Why the doctrine of Superior Pleasures is so important

I'm on the backend of having tried to sustain myself with the things that I am comfortable with to give me satisfaction.

It's not too harmful, having entertained myself with playing video game music that I haven't listened to or played (on the piano) for years. I'm talking 8 years ago.

I've been brought upto believe that if I follow rules, and generally live by them, I'll be fine.

the problem that I have is that my desires don't seem to go away.

In fact the ones that have never even thought about it are probably the ones that if they knew what they need, would be ruined.

Take the sports for example. We find and give admiration to the players saying they're playing on a good team. We enjoy watching sports games, if we're honest we like it more than anything else.

but when we put that illustration to God we think it's out of place. What do I mean? when someone gives their life to the glory of God we look and think that there could be more important things that we do. What does this shed light into? it actually comes down to the fact that we place more importance on the things that we can do than on God.

Use the illustration again. If someone were to admire God, to love God, to glorify God, to bring God glory what would we do? the point is that we have a sense that it's better if we give those things to other things - not knowing what that means.

The problem with my desires is they don't go away.

In fact, trying to live like they don't exist is only going to take us further from the truth.

That's why I hope in God. that's why my greatest pleasure is God. It's because He's the only one that can give me the pleasure that I'm looking for. And we'll write the bible with that worldview.

When we look at God and say "I will do things for Him" doesn't it just detract from the reality? the reality is that you hardly ever do things. Even you doers that do things, you can't say that that's all there is, right? what makes up a day is far more than what you do.

Why couldn't it be that when we look at God, He is all that we are looking for? when we look at God, who loves us, we were created to love Him - in ways that I don't even know, nor can comprehend. God, at the end of the day is far more amazing than idols (things that we've made) He alone satisfies - because He feels that way about us.

This is why the doctrine of superior pleasures is so important. When we act as if everything is alright, and years later it comes back to haunt us, that's evidence that we never really had tips on it. If we genuinely in our heart know, that God is superior, we'll goto Him every time.

It's the trading of what is lesser and temporary for what is real and superior.

that's my thought for the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment