Wednesday 30 May 2012

The Vision of Isaiah: The Calling to Live Holy, and enjoy the benefits of Salvation (42:18-44:23)

I wanted to share this revelation with you, which I had when I was reading Isaiah 42:18-44:23
A Passage that has eluded me for so long has been Chapter 44 where the prophet starts speaking and denouncing Idols (though I did not have eyes to see it beforehand) I think if you are in the middle of Idol worship, you don't see it and unless you have the Spirit, such behavior God delivers you over to (44:18)

The point that I have to communicate here is the Prophet's ANGUISH at the end of this section.
They do not know nor understand; For He has shut their eyes, so that they cannot see, [And] their hearts, so that they cannot understand. And no one considers in his heart, Nor [is there] knowledge nor understanding to say, "I have burned half of it in the fire, Yes, I have also baked bread on its coals; I have roasted meat and eaten [it]; And shall I make the rest of it an abomination? Shall I fall down before a block of wood?" He feeds on ashes; A deceived heart has turned him aside; And he cannot deliver his soul, Nor say, "[Is there] not a lie in my right hand?"
I want to grip you with something that grips me it is this. If you are following after Idols, nothing can save you! It just so happens everyone has gone that way! (Romans 1:18) no forgiveness, no salvation, no deliverance, no promised redemption price. And blinded by lies.

Bookmarking these are two redemptively charged sections where God is speaking to His wayward servant.  Isaiah 43:22 writes:
"But you have not called upon Me, O Jacob; And you have been weary of Me, O Israel.
Let us continue on with this section
"I, [even] I, [am] He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; And I will not remember your sins. Put Me in remembrance; Let us contend together; State your [case], that you may be acquitted. Your first father sinned, And your mediators have transgressed against Me. Therefore I will profane the princes of the sanctuary; I will give Jacob to the curse, And Israel to reproaches.
What is happening here, is God is reminding his people about His charge before them as Priests, and how the nation are to minister salvation to the ends of the earth through the forgiveness of sins. But what did they do? This is Israel's charged history in a couple of verses: They transgress against Him (rather than appreciating the blessings of Salvation) and as a result he hands them over to be plundered. See a picture?


I used to think that these verses were a reference to all Israel being saved, and their sin corporately forgiven, but all God is really saying is this "You are my people, you ought to know me"


However I want to impress the second section upon you with great excitement and joy. Following the Prophets anguish regarding Idols there is a brief, yet WONDERFUL redemptive section where God again takes up the center stage and speaks with His people.

"Remember these, O Jacob, And Israel, for you [are] My servant; I have formed you, you [are] My servant; O Israel, you will not be forgotten by Me! I have blotted out, like a thick cloud, your transgressions, And like a cloud, your sins. Return to Me, for I have redeemed you."
Sing, O heavens, for the LORD has done [it]! Shout, you lower parts of the earth; Break forth into singing, you mountains, O forest, and every tree in it! For the LORD has redeemed Jacob, And glorified Himself in Israel.




God intends to destroy every idol on the earth, and be ceaselessly worshipped forever and ever on earth (Isaiah 45:22-25) He also intends on saving all Israel and wiping clean their transgressions. The ones who have a problem with keeping his covenant will at last be healed of their treachery.  Listen to what He says!

No comments:

Post a Comment