Monday 12 September 2011

Deceitfulness of wealth/Power of faith

Today I had some very troubling times, predominantly caused by anxiety and stress over finances - receiving wealth. There is a song by Laura Hackett called "I Put on Christ" some of the lyrics are really speaking to me right now:

Rise up, my soul, and start praying
'Cause I don't want to be defenseless

What if there is a connection between that? What if our war is against a kingdom that loads us down with burdens and unbelief and dissatisfaction of God's fullness. Yes there is, there is a war going on a war for our souls. Even us who know Jesus Christ, whom has saved us by his blood, there continues a large fight on this earth. A kingdom that is forcefully advancing. There is a war going on. Between the Kingdom of Darkness that puts blinders on our eyes, a world of mammon. Yes, I want to say, that it is predominantly a war against our soul. There are some scriptures that come to mind:

Matthew 6:19-21 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Matthew 16:24-28 "Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."

I will not quote the whole passage, but the pre-eminent one is in Matthew 19, the Rich Young Ruler. Jesus is making a example here. He's saying for anyone with worldly wealth, sell everything, give it away to the poor, and come follow Him. The two verses that I have put up strengthen the story. He goes on, after saying "come follow me" he says "How hard is it for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God!" But, what is impossible to man is possible to God. How can anyone be saved? (they ask, meaning, who will inherit the next age?) He promises anyone who follows Him in this way will inherit riches in the age to come. He is using an argument that He uses alot, that is, why should you die? you shall live through me! He is giving a better alternative, Himself, poured out by the Spirit.

How important it is that we stay accountable to each other! As often as I rise up in faith and believe His promises are good, but while I am troubled inside and confused, then I can't believe. The importance for coming together is in encouragement - so that faith will rise up! We are in a battle, a war for our very selfs. It's not just a surface level problem with financial anxiety. We are in the cockpit, flying the plane, it's us that could get taken out! What is at stakes here is Jesus! Our soul life, our redeemer, lover, savior. Believe me when I say when the battle is raging the least of my concerns is if I get money or not, I'm being coerced into saying Jesus does not satisfy, the greatest dream of my heart.

It's a lie that says you can be satisfied by possessions! You see faith works the opposite of the world. The world says this "I have been here before! I know what I'm doing" Faith says "I have never been here before, and this is completely new!" As it is written: "Choose you this day whom you will serve... As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" and "This is the day the Lord has made! We will rejoice and be glad in it!" In fact, at this moment. It's not just a day. At this moment! The world is saying this. "We create wealth by accumulating wealth" Faith says this "Just as God created light out of darkness, so God creates wealth out of nothing!" This is a financial power encounter for you today in the Spirit realm, to be set free into freedom. The wisdom is foolishness to the world, it says "Do not stop giving! do not stop tithing!" put yourself in voluntary weakness financially. God is not interested in the finances, he's interested in cultivating your heart, and watching it expand and grow.

So that you'll say "I can dream big dreams!" Basically, give away, hilariously! watch God come through big time! this is reasonable logic.
Of all the things that I've said, I like the most, that Jesus links soul life to an assaulting of the kingdom of darkness, primarily in the realm of finances because that is the Spirit of this age. He is so beautiful! He is so gorgeous and lovely. And I hold the key to His heart.

I want to suggest that the deceitfulness of wealth, mentioned in Matthew 13 is there because it will be the greatest cause for concern before His Kingdom comes in fullness. Think of fear, depression, rage, anger, hopelessness, bitterness, cancers, lust, adultery. This ground cannot bring the kind of peace and wellbeing that we crave.

2 comments: