Wednesday 22 June 2011

Welcome to the world of John part 2

Truth is a funny word these days, I have a hard time digesting the truth. The phrases "truly, truth or true" are mentioned 50 times in the Gospel of John; NKJV version (this doesn't even mention the phrase "most assuredly" which can mean "Truly, Truly" that phrase is mentioned 25 times)

The work of the Spirit in regeneration allows us to do what no one else can. When Jesus is closing up his discussion with His disciples He says, "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear [them] now" His answer is "I will send the Holy Spirit" I am not able to share at this moment what this means, I have written it in a poem.

No one can come to the Father unless He draws him
the Spirit which is with you
transforms the thoughts of your heart
into wine, we offer up the grapes that no human could
and we sing of our well Beloved concerning His vineyard.
He calls us to dine with Him
(which is a very hospitable, gentle thing)
It's your presence, living in me
Israel rejected Him but do you think that it is final?
Because of them, we have been grafted
into a cultivated, green, olive tree
And we are now part of them
In the age to come we will be reigning
together with Him.
He does this all in our backyard, earth
and it was not a secret plan in the corner of Heaven
this is the intent and desire of God's heart
because heaven and earth have come together in Christ Jesus
You cannot do it without Him
Human's attempts have sidelined Him
God's hand in reconciling
has produced the good grapes that make wine
So how you ask, can God judge us?
He will take each one
and give them what they wanted
If they rejected Him they reject life
and they deny His proposal of love
My love is jealous for me
He will do anything to have all of me
When I hear his voice
and his hand is on my heart
I leap for the door
and struggle through suffering
because my Beloved spoke to me
He lives inside of me
my heart is awake
He says "Open for me!"
like I am on his mind and heart
and He tells me his deepest thought
What suffering will keep me away?
He is here.
God will not relent

Consider the ministry of the Son of God, Though he did not remain silent, and did not hide, they did not believe. What is the fruit of their rejection? I was chosen! I am now a part of the cultivated, green olive tree. It is important that we see them like this, because it reminds us of mercy, grace, gratefulness, kindness, God's pure eyes, jealousy, the truth, redemption, salvation, invincibility, protection, support, love, family, sonship... the list goes on. This is why He said "though you are sons of Abraham... you seek to kill me... This is not what Abraham did... I can raise up descendants of Abraham from these stones, (finishing with) If you are a slave you have no permanent place in the house" Their rejection is not a light thing, I am making much of God's love, sovereignty, jealousy, mercy, I will try to quote the verses. For even though they rejected Him, and He knew it, they all work out for good. What does this mean? Though I was a slave to sin, I have received the Spirit, and in my weakness can do what no man can do, I produce good grapes where they didn't and I do not take the credit for it, I just sing about it! Is this not the work of God? The point of all this is to put into context the words spoken by Jesus which reveal His jealousy, that He will not relent

Some phrases in the gospel of John

No one can come unless the Father draws Him (3 verses) - that is, the Holy Spirit wants you to know Jesus
I will raise Him up at the last day - God has sealed us with the Holy Spirit, on the last day, we will be given a new body. Because it is Jesus who came, and It is Jesus who says these things, this also means "the Son of God is glorified" (it even says "the Holy Spirit was not given, for the Son was not yet glorified" - meaning He was raised to life the first time, so will we)
I can do nothing of myself(3 verses) - each of these three point to the dependance of Jesus towards the Father, and our dependance on Jesus. Perfect submission
I and the Father - When you have seen me you have seen the Father. His ministry of showing the Father.
I particularly like John 8:16 where it says "And yet if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone, but I [am] with the Father who sent Me." because we also know that in John 16 he says "Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me" He was sent into the world as life to the world. That is enough to say that He gets all the glory. We know that the works of God testify to Himself. When we pray for healing we are praying for the glory of God because only God could do the works that we see Him doing. The incredible part is, He gave up his life to save the world, knowing their rejection and rebellion, in the same way that He loved His own, knowing that they would flee.

The Kind of Love the Father loves the Son with, is a love that exists in them. they are united together, this kind of love is seen in the bond of marriage. When He says "I am with the Father" - it is that source of life that fills Him with love. He is saying, "neither can I do a thing" - "neither do I want to do a thing" all that He ever did came from obedience and love. If you like being around someone, you want to spend all the time with them, and what do you enjoy doing with them? the things that you enjoy doing, infact, the things they enjoy doing. You do not find it difficult to give all yourself to them, because you have placed all of yourself in them. When Jesus did the will of God, He was saying "there's no other thing I would want to do" - for I have all my life, my love, my strength, EVERYTHING in Him, and what He loves I love, and I will love Him the same way.

"perfect love casts out fear" this I imagine is what restful, contemplation John thinks of when He says "the disciple whom Jesus loves" what a place of confidence and security! I really want to be in the same place. It is also an intense desire and longing.

No comments:

Post a Comment