Wednesday 18 August 2010

Snowboarding

Hey i do not usually write about stuff i'm doing however I just had the most amazing day of snowboarding with my school from YWAM. Begun the day needing some snowboard gear (jacket, pants, gloves, goggles) and woke up late so it was a God thing everything worked out. Talk about crazy! First pair of pants offered were right size and then also found a jacket -

We travelled upto Porter's Pass and then i was wondering where the ski slopes were gonna be but as we travelled through Porter's Pass I realized "It's called Porters" that's where it'll be! Where should I go I wonder. First time at Porters. I come inside the lodge and i don't have my boots on so I proceed to take off my boots and think "I wonder if they'll fit" They were a bit of a tight fit, but after about 30 mins someone informed me "They're supposed to be snug like ice skates" Where am I going to get those gloves and goggles from? I was looking for Matt Hall for a while and asked around the slopes "have you seen Matt Hall?" I found out that he had stayed behind from the trip - where am I going to get gloves and goggles from??? So I head back to the Lodge. I let people know "Matt's not here" Josh says I can borrow his goggles - So he goes off to get some. Some of the leaders are gathered around sitting and having coffee and that's when I talk to Mark and say "I was supposed to get Goggles and gloves from Matt but I've found out that he didn't come. Did he leave any in the vans?" Mark says I can borrow his gloves, so I'm set. But after coming back I realize i don't know how to strap myself in. Josh comes out to show me how to do it. There's a beginner slope at the start. So without further ado, how did the snowboarding go?

Absolutely amazing, and exciting. I mean - my body is aching and so tired right now, but If this was my last day on earth I would be glad. "Sweet bro, you got burton bindings" We lock up my right foot and so there's no going back from here. I get the hang of the t bar (though I put it under my right arm - that's the way to do it) It's pretty relaxing just letting it take you up to the top - letting your foot guide you. But I definitely had so much fun after going down the hill - really fast. I dunno - the board is supposed to be smaller than usual so you don't go so fast - I enjoyed speeding down the hill, I need to get better at stopping properly. While going up the hill you point your toes forward - when heading down the hill you point your heels. "It's quite hard to turn - takes alot of strength" I say to begin with. Actually the though going through my mind is "How Am I going to do up the bindings afterwards - I found that pretty difficult too" Because of all the falling over I was using up lots of energy - that with all the clothes i was wearing, after two runs I could go anymore - I was about to faint. So I took a break, then headed into the lodge for lunch and sitting down. What's been so great is the company of people - encouragement and at the beginning excitement that I have just learned how to snowboard. Quick learning. I decide during the afternoon to go down again - i'm not sure how long I was out there but I enjoyed it - the snow was falling. Queues were a bit bigger.

I have to get used to the t-bar again. managed to get further up the slope. sped down the slope - managed to turn, and to stop. Right at the bottom. Shoot I absolutely crave going again. I can see how this could be addictive. Then we headed back to the base, "I am calling it a day" apparently everyone else was coming in as well. Listening to music, being with my YWAM family and hearing all the amazing compliments and everyone being so awesome made the experience even better. I guess i forgot to take photos. Looking forward to board with some folks soon. I have probably forgotten so much but what a day. I think I learned something from it, right? Maybe you can learn something too. It really is a great end to a fabulous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment