Saturday 3 September 2011

Enjoying Shabbat Practical Realities

I'm thinking of how simple the instructions are. "Shabbat is a day of no work" we meet together as a family for the most important meal of the week. We share scripture readings and sing spirited songs. We don't need to wash our hands literally, because we know that Jesus said "it's not what comes into a man that makes him unclean, but what comes out of a man that makes him unclean"

I had the ideal shabbat last week. God had supernaturally given me the most perfect day, and I was taking captive my thoughts, excited about engaging in creative pursuits with my Father, and knowing "I'm not working today" - I need to speak up and let people know this is my day of rest, The day that I can be with my creator. I was so excited that I didn't even want to receive or take cell phone calls, think about what I have to do - If I did, I had to let people know that I'm not working today.

When everything changes it throws you off balance. This week is a perfect example. I arrived at my parents home but my thoughts were on reading, writing, working, fretting, anxiousness, stress. When everything falls apart - when you are carried along and do not have peace, and freedom, and calmness. Somehow I found myself sitting in front of the computer, either listening to music, a sermon, or both - reading notes, and fretting about what I was supposed to do. For a "Holy Day!" and the meal being the most important, it really did not have a sacred feel to it. Maybe this is because I am just starting.

There was some soup in the freezer, so I heated that up, found a cob of corn - and had some toast with marmite, drunk some water. I went back to the computer. The batteries for my voice recorder had been swiped - they were not in the charger now. Right, I will not be able to record songs today. The night ended with reading the parashah for this shabbat, Deuteronomy 16:18-21:9, Isaiah 51:12-52:12, John 1:19-27, Acts 3:22-23

I'm so grateful God is with me, and living inside of me. After a night of perfect sleep (besides waking up late!) The testing continues. (I am not angry with people- just to make that clear) For a day when I'm not supposed to work, I have started with a terrible morning. Check 1. Speak with Authority that this is my day of rest and I am not working. I will not so much as put my breakfast in the microwave unless the law says to. Failed. Check 2. Do not walk around working finding cream, or putting dishes in the dish washer. Failed. Check 3. Do not turn the computer on and write on your blog. Failed. Check 4. Go into room and read the Parashah for this Shabbat. Think Godly thoughts. Success! Check 5. Walk with my daddy. Success! Check 6. Whatever the Father is doing, let me do as well, I will not work, it will be Him. Still in Progress. Check 7. And so on... As you can tell, Shabbat law can be never ending.

I would say that I've failed at keeping Shabbat today. The fact that it is God's day, the day when we enjoy to fellowship with Him, because He wants to, that is the most important part of Shabbat. Jesus also demonstrated His Lordship over Shabbat by perfectly keeping Shabbat (yes!) and obeying God in all of His commands. This makes Him the Son of God.

Before I finish, I want to make it clear, I am not under law. However, This gives me freedom! That's right! Keeping shabbat law gives me freedom. I can't imagine a more perfect day when I don't have to do anything! And enjoying it. I would recommend taking a certain aspect of Shabbat and applying it, so that one day a week you are not thinking at all about what entails to be part of your life. Being able to say no to people with respect and kindness. My favourite part of Shabbat would be to have a proper Shabbat meal, I think this is what many people would say. My dream is to keep shabbat 100% like Jesus. It's hard to tell everyone all the commitments you made to God, but God willing you will be able to.

Also know that If you are getting angry with other people, you've missed the point. The pharisees also got angry because they perceived Jesus was not keeping Shabbat. As the elders and chief priests of the nation, they had the right and authority to say those things to Him (this weeks reading is about the totalitarian authority God gave to judges and priests in the nation of Israel)

I am still trying to find the perfect rest which Jesus offers me. As it is written: "Strive to enter that rest" (Hebrews 4:11)

I will end by saying, we have been set free from the law of sin and death, so that we may live by the newness of the Spirit. The command of God gives life! I do not want to make it sound like I'm trying to earn this. My whole desire is to walk in obedience to Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment