Tuesday 2 November 2010

Communing with God

Psalm 42:2 "My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?" NKJV

Hey, the realisation hit me yesterday something that is very simple to put into practice. I was talking with God in a worship time at our base in Oxford and received a word from Him, but I didn't think it was supposed to be said then. So I talked about it with God. Then I felt guilty that I hadn't said anything. Thoughts like "You should have said what you were thinking" "You are grieving the Spirit" "You are going to have to work towards getting back in His presence" Even though I hadn't done anything. So by the end of the worship time my face was covered with shame. While I stepped outside someone gave me a hug, but then noticed how disquieted my face was. They asked "is there something wrong?" And assured me that God loves me. It's funny isn't it, We know God loves us, does that mean we have failed to be assured of His love for us? I don't think so. The next thing that happened we prayed and a thought came into my mind "I need to talk to God and say I don't want to fall into the failings of the world" Then Trish looks straight at me and says "You need to talk to someone" straight into my eyes. Well I walk off, and then think "well I was going to talk to God" so I talked with Him and my soul was built up. And feeling better. Just one sentence!

You may be glad to here, that I was working outside in the morning, digging and wheel barrowing weeds from the garden into the compost heap. Just like some solitary monk. So I thought more about what had happened, and said "Hello Father" maybe all He wants us to do is talk with Him! Then that's what happened! All He wants us to do is talk with Him, this is our soul life. The more we pray to Him that's soul life! Because the Spirit talks with our spirit. the transfer happens, like, as we talk with Him, he exchanges our words for His words. It says in James:

3:2 "For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body."

So words give us perfect control. You have a longing for connection. not just communication, connnection is an experience, longing to receive is a genuine longing. I remember seeing in a film that there was war going on around them and they just sat down and wanted to talk. God is with us wherever we go! The reason we don't talk is because we don't think that it is crucial. More than anything in this life I want to talk to God. I want to know God, I want to understand His ways. "I treasure your words more than all the riches of this world" You can have all the riches of this world, give me Jesus!

In the margin of the NKJV the phrase "before God" is translated to mean "in the face of God" that is where I get the inference that I want to connect with God from.

If my value and identity come from the Love of God
then my dwelling place is talking with God

No comments:

Post a Comment